The indigenous Lenca community of Rio Blanco is in its fifth month of blocking an illegal damming operation on the sacred Gualcarque River. Here, the road to the river, blockaded. Photo: Beverly Bell.
National day of action to support indigenous peoples in Honduras who are defending their lands and rivers, and to challenge US-funded attacks on them by the Honduran government. Turn out the day before a trial intended to silence and imprison Berta Cáceres, Aureliano Molina and Tomás Gomez of the Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH). Sign the petition supporting them here.
On Thursday, September 19th, engage in one of the following actions, or organize your own:
* Demonstration and delivery of petition to Honduran consulate in San Francisco, 12-2 pm, 870 Market St.
* Demonstration and delivery of petition to Honduran consulate in New Orleans: email email@example.com for more info.
* Sign and spread the petition with the below demands here.
* Send blog and action info out to your social networks via twitter, facebook, text, email etc.
* If you organize your own action, let us know: email firstname.lastname@example.org with the info.
DROP the trumped-up charges against Berta Cáceres, Aureliano Molina and Tomás Gomez of the Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH), intended to silence and intimidate communities who are defending their right to live!
STOP the land grabbing and illegal dams of indigenous land!
STOP the repression of the community of Rio Blanco, which is now in its fifth month of blocking construction of a dam.
Visit www.otherworldsarepossible.org/honduras-action and rioblancocommunity.blogspot.com for more info and other ways to get involved.